Sunday, July 15, 2012

Not much new to report

Not too much new to report this week... and I don't have many new photos.

Our adventure the other day was in going to town to run errands (I drove... avoiding pedestrians in Nanyuki is sometimes terrifying)... and then visiting the home of our cook Eric and his family.
Eric's mom, dad, and a lot of extended family live just outside Nanyuki and he had been begging us to come visit. So we finally made it out there and it was really nice. His family grows pretty much all of their own food. They have several large gardens, 2 cows for milk, some goats, chicken and rabbits for meat. We had tea, lunch, more tea, and went for a long walk with his 2 sisters making for a 6 hour visit...

Eric's parents told us over and over we are welcome any time, even when Eric is not there. His mom says we should think of her as our Kenyan mom. We also met Eric's grandma who is about to turn 100 years old and still works in her garden every day! She looked amazing for 100 years old. I sadly did not have my camera because I didn't want to risk it being stolen in town, so I did not get any photos.

In other news, I entered a camera trap photo contest for BBC Discover Wildlife magazine. I'm sure they get some awesome submissions, so I probably don't have a shot... but you can't win if you don't try, right. Each person is allowed to submit 12 photos. I entered several of the lion pics, as well as some other animals. The two below are actually my favorites-- entered into the animal portraits category.

No comments:

Post a Comment