Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Good News

I have another quick update for you all- with lots of good news this time!

First, both Lisa and my cars have been fixed and are running like totally different cars. The mechanics here are great. My car used to make tons of noise (both the engine and exhaust) and now it is so quiet and runs so much smoother. Also, since Lisa's car was fixed, we went into town yesterday to deal with my phone. Unfortunately the shop where I bought mine was closed, so I could not ask them for a replacement. I did not want to leave without a working phone, though so I just bought a new one from a different provider at another shop. So I now have two Kenyan cell phones! The number of the working one is 0713 796 270 if anyone cares. The two big cell companies in Kenya are Orange (my original phone) and Safaricom (the new phone).
If we make it back into town again before we leave and that original store is open, I am still going to try to get a replacement for my Orange phone so that I will have two working phones. The Safaricom one works well on Ol Pejeta where I am (so I will actually be able to call for help if I get stuck in the field) but has no reception at Mpala where I will be for the last week. So if I can get my Orange phone fixed to use at Mpala that would be great.

I have also been seeing some cool hybrid behavior. I emailed my advisor to give him an update and he seems very pleased with my work. He said I am getting great data and with a little luck we may be able to get a paper out in the fall-- which would be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment