Saturday, July 24, 2010

Now at Mpala



Hey everyone- so I am now at Mpala. Today was "Discovery Day" and a bunch of people from the community came to hear short presentations by a lot of the researchers about the work going on here. It was a pretty impressive turn out. Even the director of KWS (Kenya Wildlife Service) helicoptered in for it.
Lisa and I drove our cars over here yesterday afternoon, and luckily they both made it. My car was making weird noises along the way- especially in 4th gear- but it made it.




The last day we were at Ol Pejeta, apparently one of the herders got gored by a rhino-- which is insane. He survived, but he took a horn to the back. Luckily it just hit muscle and nothing important I think. That will be a crazy story to tell one day. Speaking of rhinos, here are a couple pictures from the first week we were here that I don't think I ever posted. It was just getting to the end of the rainy season/beginning of the dry season then, so there were still mud pools around they liked to lay in.


Also yesterday, Lisa and I saw the tiniest baby elephant ever and as we were watching it, it's mom started to charge our car. We just drove off quickly, but I feel like now I can say I have been charged by an elephant.


No comments:

Post a Comment