Saturday, January 18, 2014

Sunset

The Illinois, Stanford, and TNC collaborators left yesterday. But an evening game drive with them the other night provided some fantastic views of the sunset. These are all taken directly off of my camera-- no photoshop or enhancement involved.

Zebras in front of the sunset. And a sleepy jackal yawning after a nap.





I got a lot of work done over the last 2 days and the research has now officially started. Thursday I set up most of the camera traps and distribued my grazing exclosure cages. Yesterday (Friday) I measured grass at all of my cage sites, finished the remaining cameras, and collected GPS units from the cattle bomas. I had a different guard, Issac, who has never come with me to measure grass before. At the end of each site we cut a sample of grass and put it in a paper bag to dry and send off later for nutrient analysis. Issac told me he really liked cutting the grass with my grass-clipping shears (brought from the US). "These are really good scissors. We don't have things like this in Kenya", he told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment