Sunday, June 6, 2010

Here is Twiga!
I compressed the picture size and got it to load really fast this time. So I think that was my problem... I just need to make pictures smaller first.
So hopefully I can upload more now.
A couple other things I forgot to mention about my sweet ride is that it has no RPM gauge at all... and the speedometer does not work. So I have no idea how fast I am going at any time. And there is no indication for when to shift other than listening/feeling the engine. But I have done pretty well so far I think.
I went with Blair today when she took her car to get more gas, so I know where the place is now. It is in the far northwest corner of the property, up a hill. Once they get my account set up I will need to go get gas in the next few days before trying to go out to the field for a whole day.
I also just skyped with the parents and it actually works pretty well here. It was breaking up a few times when I was in my hut, but as soon as I carried my laptop outside it worked perfectly. So I was able to give them a little tour of camp with the webcam. Skype does use up a lot of internet MBs though so I don't want to use it too often. If anyone really wants to set up a call though, let me know. Also, if anyone feels like calling me on my new Kenyan cell phone, the number is 020-2642374. I know there is a way you can call a cell phone from skype, or you could always get an international calling card. But I will try to just keep updating this blog to keep you all in the loop. Feel free to email me too... jmschieltz@bama.ua.edu. I would love to hear from people!
And wow, while I am writing this, it just started pouring rain outside! I will be driving all around the property with Rosemary tomorrow, so I hope this doesn't mean the roads will be mud and we will get stuck! eep!

No comments:

Post a Comment