Friday, June 11, 2010

Wednesday evening right after my last post, as Robin and I were sitting at camp, we got a call from Blair saying they had spotted and were watching 5 cheetahs on Zebra Plain. So Robin and I hopped in his Land Rover to drive out there and join them. And wow, even though I guess it has had a lot of problems... his Land Rover is nice. So much better than the cars Blair and I are driving. It is huge too. So anytime we want to drive somewhere offroad or hard to get to to look for stuff we take Robin's car. There were three adult cheetahs together that we followed for awhile. At one point they stopped at this rock sign post at a junction in the road and all sprayed it at the same time. I have a really good pic of it, haha. Then their were two other, a mother and older cub (almost an adult but with still some neck fuzz) just down the road. On the drive back we really wanted to spot a leopard, but no luck. They are by far the hardest to find and see.

I also emailed Dan to tell him about my observations so far and ask if there is a better way to do the sampling. He seems pleased with my progress so far and gave me several helpful tips about what we are looking for and what is most important to note. He said to go ahead and do the scan sampling where every 5 minutes I just note the behavior of every individual in the group. I went back out yesterday and found the same female again and tried this sampling method instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment