Tuesday, June 22, 2010


Ok time for another update!


So Saturday we went into town to shop for groceries and had lunch at that restaurant Trout Tree-- and it is pretty cool. It is literally a restaurant in a tree. It is even two stories, which is crazy! We sat on the top level to eat. There are usually monkeys in the tree that hang out while you are eating too, but we didn't see any that day. I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures.
Then we headed from town to Mpala for the night for Dr. Rubenstein's 60th birthday party. And it was a really good party. There were lots of people (I think I heard 60) and lots of wine. After dinner there was a huge cake shaped and decorated like the Princeton crest. Dan seemed really excited as he oped his presents. Then afterwards, most of the undergrads and grad students headed back down to the tented camp where we were staying for an after-party dance party around the fire pit. The tented camp is really cool. Above is a pic of the tent we stayed in. It looks kind of small in the pic, but there are three beds in there with room in the middle. And in lots of ways it is actually nicer than my banda at Ol Pejeta. It is totally contained, so no bugs get in, and the mattress was really nice. Plus all the tents are right on the river so you have a great view. The only downside is no running water, so there is a latrine and bucket showers. There is a nice mess tent with a long table and lots of chairs where meals are served and then there are 6 or more tents spread out on either side along the river. The fire pit is a big round stone one, with a raised bench all around that we bring cushions to. You can fit alot of people. Blair said the students have often talked about filling it with water and turning it into a giant hot tub. I don't think it would really be doable- but would be awesome if it was ever accomplished. I got to meet more new people which was also nice.
Sunday we headed back to Ol Pejeta to resume work. Dr. Rubenstein might be coming here on Friday to check in on our progress-- after he gets done with all of his meetings with the board of trustees at Mpala. Days have been getting pretty routine around here-- well as much as they can for being in Kenya! I go out everyday and drive around trying to find a hybrid, then watch it for a few hours. Yesterday we got really close to two cheetah again and took more pics. I had to stop in the middle of the road the other day to let a family of 10 or more elephants cross in front of me. Pretty standard now... but still awesome. Things are going well I think. The research is coming along. No more car problems so far, although I am still trying to buy a new tube for my tire that was temporarily repaired. Someone is supposed to be going to town today and I gave them money and asked them to get one for me. When I stop to think about it, I've only been here 2 1/2 weeks. In some ways it seems like I've been here longer. I don't know if two months will start to seem like forever by the end or not. It hasn't gotten old yet though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment