Friday, July 1, 2011

Crazy weather

This weather is nuts. It rained last night, so the roads were a bit wet this morning, but I made it through and everything had dried out by noon. Then I went out in the afternoon and thunder and lightning started rolling in again. Next thing I know, it is HAILING on Oryx plain. Marble-sized hail pelting my car. I didn't even know it could hail in Kenya. So I decided to high-tail it back to the research center because I did not want to get stuck out in the field. I took the long way home to use the better, gravel roads and I think I drove around most of the storm. But I did not get to finish the observations I needed to do sadly.

It continued to rain for another couple hours too, so I did not make it to the bomas again tonight. I don't know what I am going to do about that. It is getting old. Plus, I had just seen some of the herders out on the plain before the rain and told them I would be there at 6. Then I didn't show up. But hopefully they understand why. I felt really bad for them during the hail. I wonder what they did?

No comments:

Post a Comment