Sunday, July 3, 2011

Goat Roast: A story in pictures

Caution: graphic content-- images of slaughtering a goat

Nicole and I riding in the back of the truck on the way to buy a goat. 

 These two boys live in the community just outside Ol Pejeta where we bought the goat. They were very friendly... and loved my digital camera. They did not want to let it go when we had to leave.
 Wrangling the goat.
Tieing rope around its legs to take it home in the truck (still alive here!)

 Transport

As we were driving back with the goat, a cold wind picked up and large storm clouds rolled in... uh oh.

 We got back just as the rain was starting to fall and waited it out an hour or so until the rain subsided. Then it was time to slaughter the goat.
 Nicole and I held the legs while Kim cut its throat. I felt so bad...
The aftermath.
We cut off all of the meat and made nyama choma (roast meat) over an open wood fire in the fire pit. No pictures of that because it got dark. But I think George does have a picture somewhere of me gnawing on an entire leg.


6 comments: