Sunday, July 31, 2011

working away

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the infrequent posts nowadays. I feel like I haven't had much to post. Just working away. I had a pretty good morning yesterday though.  Despite a mix-up or lack of communication where my guard did not show up on time and I had to go pick him up out of my way, we got done with everything by lunchtime and saw some cool stuff.

The most exciting of which was, I came within 30m of a cheetah on foot! We were walking out into the middle of a plain of fairly tall grass to measure the vegetation. I was already looking down at the ground when a cheetah who had been napping in the grass hopped up. My guard casually goes, "Oh, there is a cheetah sleeping here." For a second I didn't know if we were supposed to carefully back away to the car, but my guard didn't seem worried, so I just carried on measuring grass. The cheetah sat near us for a little but, then eventually walked away. No big threat really. A single cheetah will not take on a human (a lion might though).
We also saw 2 lions which I wasd excited about because I hadn't seen any in a long time and had been searching for days with no luck. I had apparently missed some my mere minutes several days in a row! I also saw 3 black rhino and 3 white rhino. The 2 groups came face to face and greeted each other (with a little apprehension) by touching noses. It is also funny to see rhinos run. Anything that big trying to move fast is a little funny. So that is about it for now.
Tomorrow is August! Which means I only have about 3 weeks left.

Here is a random picture of an elephant in the marsh the other day to keep this post from being all text
.

No comments:

Post a Comment