Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Life and Death in the bush


We know that herbivores get eaten by predators. But sometimes, rarely, animals die without any obvious cause of death. While measuring grass one day, my guard Barnaba and I found this dead male Grant's gazelle. Only a small part of its abdomen had been opened up (seemingly by a bird, as there were no bite marks like from a jackal or other mammal) and the rest was still untouched. We couldn't find any visible wounds like from a fight with another male Grant's. Sometimes they do stab each other with their horns, and this can be fatal-- but there were no apparent stab marks. So we left it be. The next night I went back and this time only the skeleton was left. Most of the meat had been eaten by scavengers and there was a jackal just chewing on the last of the scraps.

A few days later, near that same spot, I also found two male cheetahs. For some reason, predator sightings have been very scarce this trip. This is only my second sighting of cheetahs in over 6 weeks. And I think these are the same two males I saw the first time. I watched them cross the road through the bush, then eventually settle down under a tree for a nap. Their bellies looked full-- like they had already eaten sometime last night or that morning-- so they weren't too interested in chasing anything. But the zebra and gazelle nearby sure took notice of their presence and moved away. So I had to move on too, to find a different group of grazers to do a focal sample on.


And a final sighting for this post-- this big black rhino hanging around one of my study sites with a second horn bigger than his first! Poaching is still a major problem-- there was even an attempt just the other night. So this guy better keep hidden. Some people would love to have his horns. But I think they look better on a live animal than ground up as fake medecine...

No comments:

Post a Comment