Friday, June 17, 2011

Another productive day

Today was another pretty productive day. I went out to the field this morning and found 8 hybrids! Then at 1pm it was time to head into Nanyuki again with Kim and Alli. We were going to meet up with Nicole, another UC Davis grad student coming to do research here for 3 months. She will be working at the chimp center. Oh, and as we started to drive toward the gate to head to town, we saw another hybrid.

We met up with Nicole in town, got milkshakes and did some grocery shopping (I got some snacks to have around). Then I went to a different harware store to buy chains with clips to use for cow collars. I had emailed Dan's Kenyan postdoc Wilfred, who also works on cattle grazing research, to tell him I bought chain but they didn't have clips and ask his advice. It turns out, I needed to ask for dog chains. They are lighter weight chain (which is good) with clips already attached. I told Nathan (the research coordinater) this in the morning and he called a guy he knows to make sure they had them for me. The guy even came to meet up with me in town and walk me to the store. So I now have cow collars!

On top of that, my frames were ready today! So I got Nathan to arrange for one of the Ol Pejeta trucks going to town to pick them up for me (they are too big to fit in my car). They are sitting by the research center now. I just need to get a truck to take them up to Kamok tomorrow and have them start putting the chicken wire on. I am hoping that will only take 2 days. But they probably won't start until Monday. So we'll see, and hopefully I can start my project the middle of next week.

And just to throw a cute picture into this post, here is a baby baboon riding on its mom's back (and napping)

No comments:

Post a Comment