Sunday, June 19, 2011

Lazy Sunday


(Here is a photo of a curious zebra. When I first saw it last year, I thought it was a pregnant female. But no, it is a very swayback Male. Poor guy. But he survives ok it seems)

Sunday is generally a day off here. Most of the staff work a half day on Saturday and do not work on Sunday. So I had planned to not go into the field today, but to get stuff done around the research center. However, as seems to happen, time passed by and I feel like I didn’t get much done. It has taken me until 8:30 pm my time to write this blog entry.
To start with a recap of yesterday: I drove up to the workshop at Kamok and got them started on all of the construction I need done. My cage frames were finished Friday, picked up from town and brought to the research center. However, I am still waiting on a truck to take them up to Kamok to have the chicken wire put on. But Brian (the head of the workshop) was optimistic that they can have them done in a day or two. If so, I can start my project on maybe Wednesday.
They also cut the ends off of the dog chains I bought in town yesterday to make them a good length for cow collars. And they attached the new back number plate to my car, so I can drive it into town now if I need to.
I also went for a drive with Mathenge to see the far northwest plain I was going to use as a “before cows” site. Turns out, it is VERY far away. So we decided to eliminate that site and chose a different one that is much closer. It is a small plain, but I think it will work well, and Mathenge said that the grass looks good, so he can even move some cows on it in a few weeks for me.
Saturday night we all went for a sundowner (where you drive to a scenic spot and have a beer while watching the sunset). Here is a photo of Alli, Nicole, Kim, George, and Duncan, sitting by Nicole’s fancy rented car.

Today (Sunday) I did laundry and worked on wrapping my GPS units in wire. I need a way to protect them and attach them to the collars, so we wrap them in wire, making sure to leave openings to press the ON/OFF button and to plug in the charger cord. The wrapping in wire is actually quite a detailed job. I got done with only 15 of the 40 units today, so will have to keep working on them for a few days straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment