Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Yesterday was a mixed bag

There were good and not so good parts about yesterday.

In the morning I tried to go out into the field to look for hybrids, but the roads were still so bad because of the rain. And I think I am so scared of getting stuck, I just don't try any roads that look bad. So I could see all of the zebra over on this one plain, but I could not get to them because the road there was bad.

In the afternoon I went to town with Kim to pick up her friend Alli who is staying for 2 weeks, and run some errands. One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that I bought cow collars in the US (collars made for cows) to attach my GPS units to and brought them all the way to Kenya with me. But when I showed them to the cattle guy he didn't like them! He thinks they will scare the cows, and just wants me to buy chain and clips to make collars with instead. So I bought those collars with my own money and hauled them here for nothing!
But anyway, so I needed to buy chain and clips and also chicken wire to put on the cage frames which were supposed to be being welded. I went to the hardware store and got chicken wire and chain, but they said they have no clips of any kind. The chain is kind of useless without the clips, so I need to try to find some somewhere else ASAP. They also told me that they had been busy and hadn't started making my frames yet. They will start today. So that pushes everything back by another 2 days at least. I can't really start without those frames.

On the way back to Ol Pejeta we saw it had rained here again and the roads are even worse. I need to get to the workshop (called Kamok) soon to get more fuel, but I'm afraid the road there is too bad. So in the meantime I can't really drive around anywhere else (on the ok roads) because I don't have that much fuel left. I need to save enough to get to Kamok (which is kind of far) to get more.

One bright side was that on our drive back in we saw three lions really close up. A big male walked right by our open car window and stared at us. Then he headed over to nap with 2 females. Of course I didn't have my camera! but Alli did. So I will post a picture as soon as I can copy her photos.

So to recap:
Good: some errands completed, Alli is really nice, lions
Bad: roads suck and it rained again, hardware store had no clips, my frames won't be ready

No comments:

Post a Comment