Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cages done

Not too much to report today except that my cages are done and have been delivered to the research center. So I will officially start my project tomorrow. Nathan has promised me a guard to go out with me so that I can get out of the car and put out the cages and measure the vegetation. There are 10 cages to put out and several vegetation measurements to take at each cage site, so it will probably be a long day.

I also retrieved my first set of cow collars off of the cows this evening and downloaded the data to see where the cows has gone the past 2 days. The bad news is the GPS units only seemed to take data for the first day... so I don't exactly know what happened. Maybe the batteries didn't last, but 2 of the units were still flashing when I picked them up, so they were not dead. So I don't know why they stopped recording data on day 2? If this continues, I may have to switch to changing out the GPS units every day instead of every other day, which would be a pain. Also, the cows didn't actually go where I was expecting them to. So I may have to think on that for awhile and decide if I need to change anything or just keep going with the original plan.

1 comment:

  1. DEAR jenny,
    I REALLY ENJOY YOUR COMMENT ON YOUR BLOG.
    your pictures of the animals are terrific. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete