Saturday, June 11, 2011

Rain

It has been raining here for the past few hours. This time of year is usually about the beginning of the dry season, but I guess the rains are not quite over yet.

Before the rain, I woke up this morning to my first clear view of Mount Kenya since arriving. It had been too cloudy every other time I thought to look, but this morning at dawn there was a great view.


I went out to the field this morning and saw not one, not two, but 5 different hybrids! I am scheduled to meet with Dan and the assistant to the head cattle manager on Monday to get my real project going, but until then I am trying to collect some more hybrid behavioral data to see if we can get a paper out of what I did last summer.
After a fairly successful morning, I came back to the research center for lunch. I thought it looked dark off in the distance and wondered if it was going to rain again this afternoon like it did yesterday afternoon. Sure enough, just as I was thinking about going back out after lunch, the skies opened up with a drenching rain. It poured heavily for a good while. Now it is just light, but the roads will need some time and sun to dry out.

Still no big cat sightings, but I did see a rhino today, just into the bush while I was watching zebra.There was also a lone male elephant that came walking by.

1 comment:

  1. Still no rear license plate? Damn. And still raining? Fun! Is the car in good shape otherwise?

    There is a rumor that Ol Pej is going full board, so you may not have to worry about grocery shopping much longer!

    ReplyDelete