Friday, June 10, 2011

at Ol Pejeta

I have made it to Ol Pejeta safely and have my internet working here now. I woke up this morning, ate breakfast, packed my car and filled up with fuel and was on the road. It is about an hour drive from Mpala to Ol Pejeta... a little more since I was going kind of slowly to make sure I didn't hurt the car. The roads are still not great. In fact, the main road has gotten worse since I was last here. I gave three different people rides along my way. They all wanted to go to town, but I was not going all the way in to Nanyuki, so I took them as far as I could.

It turns out they are doing construction on the research center here at Ol Pejeta, so the main building is all torn apart and being worked on. They have even moved the kitchen into one of the former bedroom huts. It looks very different than I remember! There is not even a dining room place to eat at currently. So I am not really sure where we will be eating dinner. I think there are only a couple other people here right now too. They are currently out in the field, so Kim is the only person I know is here.

I hope the company is good though. Dan is coming over Monday for a meeting with me and the people I need to work with here for my research. Hopefully that goes well. Until then I will try to drive around and look for hybrids again like last summer. I tried that today and did see one for a bit before he disappeared into the bush. Then it started raining, so I headed back. I probably could have stayed out, but didn't want to get stuck in the mud my first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment